Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Put your flour into a mixing bowl.
- Using a coarse grater, grate your cold butter into the flour.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using your fingers, gently rub the butter into the flour until it begins to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add a splash of cold water to help bind it into a dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and gently roll each into a round dumpling. The dumplings will suck up quite a bit of moisture, so if your stew looks dry, add a cup of boiling water and give it a good stir.
- Place the dumplings on top of your fully cooked stew and press down lightly so that they’re half submerged.
- Cook in the oven or on the stovetop over medium heat with the lid on for 30 minutes.