- Pour the milk and cream into a pan, then add the garlic and thyme.
- Heat to boiling point, cool a little and strain into a jug. You can prepare this in advance and reheat.
- Layer half the potatoes in the tin, overlapping the slices, sprinkling each layer with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour over half the liquid and finish layering, then add the rest of the liquid and scatter over the cheese.
- Bake for 1-1¼ hrs until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden.
- Leave to stand for 5 mins, then cut into 6 portions and serve.