- Warm the cream, sugar and vanilla in a pan until the sugar has dissolved and the cream just comes to the boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Squeeze the gelatine to remove any excess water.
- Add it to the pan and stir until dissolved – Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Divide the blueberries between five ramekins. Pour over the cream mixture to fill the moulds.
- Place in the fridge to set – this will take at least four hours, or leave overnight.
- For the blueberry sauce – put the sugar, 50ml/2fl oz of water and star anise into a pan. Bring to the boil so that the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens slightly but doesn’t change colour.
- Remove from the heat and add the blueberries. Leave to cool and the syrup will turn a deep red colour and the blueberries will soften.
- To serve, run a knife around the panna cotta to loosen it. Tip out onto serving plates and pour over a little of the blueberry sauce.